Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Carlito's Way (1993)

  Did you like Scarface?  Did you think it would have been better if Tony Montana was Puerto Rican instead of Cuban?  Did you wish it was set in New York City instead of Miami?  Well, then I have the movie for you.

Smack dealer Carlito Brigante (Al Pacino) gets out of jail on a technicality, thanks to his lawyer, Kleinfeld (Sean Penn).  Carlito has seen the light, however, and vows to go straight.  Kleinfeld sets him up as manager of a club he has ownership in and Carlito starts saving up to move to the Bahamas and fulfill his dream of renting cars to tourists. Seriously.  But the street life is hard to walk away from, especially when your friends are out for themselves.

I have to say, I thought this was a better movie than Scarface.  Sacrilege, I know, but Scarface always seemed a little too bleak for me.  Not that this one is sunshine and kittens but it seems more hopeful overall.

And on a random note, I had heard a quote from this movie sampled as part of a song and it was entertaining to me to find where it belonged and who said it.  Now I can't remember what song it is from, which is very frustrating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment