Monday, December 9, 2013

Fire Birds (1990)

  Did you know that Tommy Lee Jones and Nicolas Cage did a Top Gun knockoff together?  Because I didn't.  And yet, the miracle of the Internet has brought it to me like a cat with a half-eaten bird. 

It is 1990 and the U.S. has decided to take the War on Drugs to the enemy, offering the use of its military to any South American government that asks.  Brad Little's (Tommy Lee Jones) job is to train Apache helicopter pilots.  The best he's ever seen is Jake Preston (Nicolas Cage) but he's also the most arrogant, headstrong, and misogynistic, given Preston's dogged pursuit of support pilot Billie Lee Guthrie (Sean Young).

This movie was so filled with testosterone that it gave me chest hair and made me beat my wife.  I'm just kidding, I don't have a wife.  It really does just seems like an attempt to cash in on Top Gun's success with a minor tie-in to the ill-fated War on Drugs.  Probably good for a laugh or to marvel over how young everyone was, but not a keeper.

In other news, yay!  Snow day!  More time to watch movies!  Also, keep your eyes peeled for a special Thursday post this week, when the 2014 Golden Globes nominations come out and I can see how many movies I didn't watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment