Thursday, December 12, 2013

Golden Globes Nominations 2014

It's the most wonderful time of the year again!  Awards season!  Now, as you all know, I don't make a point of watching all the Golden Globe nominations in a month like I do the Oscars, but I do add them to my Netflix queue.  Since most of these either just came out in theaters or just left, it might be a while.  Unless they get nominated for an Oscar, in which case I will bump them to the top of the list. 

Best motion picture, drama

12 Years a Slave - This is obviously the big front-runner.  It got nominated for a bunch of SAG awards too, which people say is an important predictor for the Oscar Best Picture category.  I've heard nothing but good things, but also that it's emotionally devastating. 
Captain Phillips - This one lost a lot of steam since it came out this summer.
Gravity - Everybody talked about this film, but nobody ever mentioned the story, just the visual effects.
PhilomenaI've heard mixed reviews on this one. 
Rush - Not a lot of people I know went to see this one, but it did well critically.

Best Actor in a motion picture, drama

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Idris Elba, Mandela:  Long Walk to Freedom - I don't know how I would feel to accept an award for playing somebody who died so recently.  If I were Idris Elba, I would be hoping someone else won.
Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club - Apparently McConaughey is having a great year.
Robert Redford, All is Lost - You have to be incredibly charismatic to pull off being the sole face of a movie. 

Best Actress in a motion picture, drama

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine - I wouldn't say I'm a big Woody Allen fan.  I think I've only seen one, maybe two of his movies.  But I love Cate Blanchett and she's supposed to be fantastic in this.
Sandra Bullock, Gravity
Judi Dench, Philomena
Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks - This one hasn't even come out yet.  Christy wants to see it, though, so I'll probably catch it at the theater.
Kate Winslet, Labour Day - I haven't heard a lot about this one.  Josh Brolin takes her hostage or something. 

Best Director - motion picture

Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne, Nebraska - I was not a huge fan of The Descendants.  This seems like more of the same, except in black and white
David O. Russell, American Hustle - I was already going to watch this.  If only for the hair.

Best Screenplay - motion picture

Spike Jonze, Her - Ok, the premise of this is that a guy falls in love with the OS on his phone.  I don't know how I feel about that.
Bob Nelson, Nebraska
Jeff Pope and Steve Coogan, Philomena
John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave
David O. Russell and Eric Singer Warren, American Hustle

Best motion picture, musical or comedy

American Hustle
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska
Wolf of Wall Street - I didn't know this was supposed to be a comedy until pretty recently. 

Best Actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy

Amy Adams, American Hustle
Julie Delphy, Before Midnight - I haven't seen the other two films in this series.  I hope that doesn't preclude me from understanding this one.
Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha -  God, I hate mumblecore.  This is the second modern black and white film this year, though, so I'll give it that.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Enough Said - Is it just me or do you think this is just a sympathy nod because James Gandolfini died this year? 
Meryl Streep, August: Osage County - Meryl Streep is always good no matter what she's in, but it's nice to see her step away from doing insipid over-the-hill comedies.

Best Actor in a motion picture, musical or comedy

Christian Bale, American Hustle
Bruce Dern, Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio, Wolf of Wall Street
Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis
Joaquin Phoenix, Her

Best Animated Feature film

The Croods - Christy really enjoyed this film.  She already bought it so I should get to it pretty soon.
Despicable Me 2
Frozen
- This one just came out a couple of weeks ago and has been tearing up the box office. 

Best Foreign Language Film

Blue Is The Warmest Color (France) - This is the NC-17 teenaged lesbian movie that did so well at Cannes.  Might be a little hard to find over here.
The Great Beauty (Italy)
The Hunt (Denmark) - I was going to see this one anyway.  Mads Mikkelsen is amazing.
The Past (Iran) - I still haven't seen A Separation and that got nominated like three years ago.
The Wind Rises (Japan) - It's a Miyazaki so it has to be good.

Best supporting Actress in a motion picture

Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts, August Osage County
June Squibb, Nebraska

Best supporting Actor in a motion picture

Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
Daniel Bruhl, Rush
Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips

Best Original Score – Motion Picture

All Is Lost - Alex Ebert
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - Alex Heffes
Gravity - Steven Price
The Book Thief - John Williams - I heard that this movie tried to hard to be emotional and ended up being melodramatic instead. 
12 Years a Slave - Hans Zimmer

Best Original Song – Motion Picture

"Atlas," The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
"Let It Go,"  Frozen
"Ordinary Love," Mandela:  Long Walk to Freedom
"Please Mr. Kennedy," Inside Llewyn Davis
"Sweeter Than Fiction," One Chance - I've never even heard of this one.

Best Actress in a TV series, drama

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black - This show I am interested in, but there's no telling when I'll get to it.
Taylor Schilling, Orange is the New Black
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House of Cards

Best Actor in a TV series, drama

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan - I added this to my queue but it hasn't been released on Netflix yet.
Michael Sheen, Masters of Sex
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards
James Spader, The Blacklist

Best TV Series, Comedy

The Big Bang Theory
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Girls
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation


Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy

Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Lena Dunham, Girls
Julia Louis Dreyfus, Veep
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

Best Actor, TV Series Comedy

Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Michael J. Fox, The Michael J. Fox Show
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Best TV Miniseries or Movie

American Horror Story: Coven - I tried to watch the first season and hated it.  People keep saying they're completely different from year to year so I'm going to try and give it another shot.
Behind the Candelabra - Oh, hell yes I am going to watch this.
Dancing on the Edge
Top of the Lake
White Queen

Best Actress in a mini-series or TV movie

Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven
Helena Bonham Carter, Burton and Taylor
Rebecca Ferguson, The White Queen
Helen Mirren, Phil Spector
Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake

Best Actor in a mini-series or TV movie

Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra
Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing on the Edge
Idris Elba, Luther
Al Pacino, Phil Spector

Best Supporting Actress in a series, mini-series, or TV movie

Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge
Janet McTeer, The White Queen
Hayden Panattiere, Nashville
Monica Potter, Parenthood
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Best Supporting Actor in a series, mini-series or TV movie

Josh Charles, The Good Wife
Rob Lowe, Behind the Candelabra
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Corey Stoll, House of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

No comments:

Post a Comment