Sunday, December 15, 2013

Flight of the Navigator (1986)

  This is a cute little sci-fi film from Disney that I had never seen.  I had heard of it, but I think I kept getting it confused with War Games in my mind.  This is the one about aliens, not computers.

David (Joey Cramer) is just a normal eight-year-old boy living in Florida in 1978.  While out in the woods looking for his little brother, David stumbles down and embankment and gets knocked out.  When he comes to, he climbs out and goes home, only to find that everything has changed.  Eight years have passed, although David hasn't aged at all.  Nearby, NASA scientists retrieve a strange silver pod-like craft from where it had crashed into a power station.  Coincidence?  Not in the slightest.  Doctor Faraday (Howard Hesseman) convinces David's parents (Veronica Cartwright and Cliff De Young) to give their miraculously returned son over to NASA for testing.  They soon find that David is the only one who can communicate with the alien ship.

If you were an eight-year-old boy when this came out, it was probably pretty awesome.  Rob says it's one of his favorite movies.  It's still not bad, though your mileage will depend on how annoying you find his voice to be.  He whines a lot.  Then again, if I were abducted by an interstellar craft voiced by Pee Wee Herman, I'd probably whine a lot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment