Monday, September 1, 2014

The Day After Tomorrow (2004)

  This should look really pretty against my background.

Global Warming:  the Movie!  Not quite at the level of prophecy yet, but a lot closer to the mark than 2012.

Paleoclimatologist Jack Hall (Dennis Quaid) delivers a strident warning to a UN Council on Global Warming about the possibility of a mini-Ice Age arising and is promptly laughed at by the U.S. Vice President (Kenneth Welsh).  A fellow scientist from a Scottish way station, Terry Rapson (Ian Holm), confesses to Jack that he thinks the Atlantic Jet Stream is shifting.  Meanwhile, Jack's son, Sam (Jake Gyllenhaal) is in New York City for a school function when Manhattan is flooded, trapping him and his schoolmates in the New York Public Library.  The flood almost immediately freezes, leaving the kids with very few options.

And this, kids, is why I will never live farther north than Maryland, if I can help it.  Today is Labor Day, the official end of Summer, and even though it is 90 degrees outside I know Fall is coming and it makes me sad.  I hate being cold and last year's Winter lasted damn near six months.  Normally, I like to put myself in the place of movie characters and try to think about what I would have done in their shoes, but not this movie.  I don't want to even pretend being that cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment