Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain (1995)

  I've never cared overmuch for Hugh Grant as an actor.  I don't think he's attractive, and that mumbling neurotic bit he does is obnoxious, not charming.  I don't know why he got top billing in this, even as the titular character.  It's not really about him.  If there were any justice in the world, that poster would have Colm Meany in 14 pt font and Hugh Grant in 12.

A small town in Wales is visited by two English cartographers during World War I.  Anson (Hugh Grant) is recovering from injuries inflicted in battle and Garrad (Ian McNeice) was sent because of the injuries he inflicted on other people's livers.  The town is a charming coal mining community whose one claim to fame is that they have the first mountain in Wales.  Anson and Garrad measure the peak and find that it is unfortunately 18 feet shy of mountain status.  Rather than have the town succumb to crushing disappointment, local barkeep and general scoundrel Morgan the Goat (Colm Meaney) organizes everyone in a mad effort to pile enough soil on the hilltop to qualify.  He enlists local beauty Betty (Tara Fitzgerald) to keep Garrad's attention from wandering but she finds herself drawn more to Anson, instead.

My mother recommended this to me as one of the funniest comedies she had seen in years.  I find myself hard-pressed to say otherwise.  The movie is charming, heartwarming, and utterly endearing in spite of Hugh Grant.

No comments:

Post a Comment