Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ironclad (2011)

  It took me almost all week to finish this movie, not through any fault of its own, but because I was so busy.  It was actually pretty decent for a film with such a small release. 

King John (Paul Giamatti), angry at being forced to sign the Magna Carta, hires Danish mercenaries to revenge himself on the barons that drafted the document.  A small band of soldiers led by Baron d'Aubigny (Brian Cox) and a Knight Templar named Thomas Marshal (James Purefoy) take Rochester Castle for defense to keep the king from controlling all of southern England, until the Archbishop (Charles Dance) can raise troops from France.

Essentially, it's The Magnificent Seven:  Medieval Edition.  The cast is top-notch, the story straightforward, and the time period interesting.  There is a lot of shaky-cam going on during several of the battle scenes, but that's really the only negative thing I have to say about it.

I started season 3 of Deadwood Thursday.  I never got to see the final season when it aired so these are all new episodes to me.  I'm hoping for a good finale.  Normally, I wouldn't watch three whole seasons back to back, because it tends to fuck up the number of posts I get to write, but I hadn't watched the show since 2007 and I needed a refresher.  I'm glad I did, too, because it turns out that I had never finished season two, and the final episode is where they really introduce the character of George Hearst.

No comments:

Post a Comment