Saturday, August 27, 2016

Labyrinth (1986)

  I love this movie.  I don't even know how many times I've seen it.  This and The Dark Crystal were staples of my childhood.

Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a teenaged girl longing for magic in a world full of annoying baby brothers, parents who don't understand, and being forced to grow up.  When she spitefully wishes the Goblin King (David Bowie) would take her brother to the land of the goblins, she doesn't really believe it will work.  Then her brother disappears.  Now she must travel through a strange land filled with rules she doesn't understand in order to rescue him.

The central themes of this movie are timeless, no matter how dated the costumes or puppets may become.  Becoming an adult is like moving through a labyrinth where the rules can seem vague and arbitrary, you don't know who is really on your side, and there's a time limit for completion.

You don't really need to critique the themes or symbolism of this film.  It's David Bowie and Jim Henson's fairy muppets.  What more do you need?

It behooves us to ensure this is passed on to future generations.  I'm giving a copy to my godchildren as soon as I burn it to my server.  What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment