Monday, August 22, 2016

Sixteen Candles (1984)

It's my birthday today!  Yay!  Sixteen Candles.jpg  God, the 80's were a terrible time.  I was never a big John Hughes fan so this is the first time I've ever watched this film.  It is not good.  Why did anyone ever think it was?

Samantha (Molly Ringwald) has just turned sixteen and is expecting her family to go all out in recognition of such a milestone.  Except her sister (Blanche Baker) is getting married the next day and everyone is focused on that.  Worse, some little creep of a freshman (Anthony Michael Hall) keeps hitting on her and the senior she has a crush on (Micheal Schoeffling) doesn't know she's alive.

Boo fucking hoo.

Honestly, I wanted to punch that spoiled little brat in the boob.  Self-absorption is the sovereign province of teenagers.  I know this.  But it still puts my teeth on edge.

Also, the amount of horrible shit being said and accepted in this film is unreal.  Blatant racism.  Rape jokes.  Constant sexual harassment.  So don't let anybody tell you we haven't progressed as a society because this is what was considered acceptable for a teen comedy thirty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment