Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Jason Bourne (2016)

I totally forgot to post anything yesterday.  My bad.  Here's what should have gone up.     I don't know why I even bothered seeing this.  I haven't really enjoyed a Jason Bourne movie since the first one.  I find them overly dramatic while lacking any real substance.

Former CIA operative Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) has been hiding out, living off the grid, and bare-knuckle boxing for cash.  He gets pulled back into the black ops world when Nikki Parsons (Julia Stiles) contacts him because she has located even more dangerous secret programs designed by the government to spy on everyone.  Nikki accidentally sets off an alert in the CIA while stealing these files and rising hotshot Heather Lee (Alicia Vikander) browbeats the director (Tommy Lee Jones) to let her handle bringing in Bourne.  The director agrees but also mobilizes an asset (Vincent Cassel) to kill Bourne if he gets a chance.

If I had to come up with a phrase for the Bourne franchise as a whole and this entry in particular, I would say "unrelieved gloominess".  This quasi-dystopian present the filmmakers are pushing frankly leaves me nonplussed.  I am over the fearmongering.  And I am over Jason Bourne.

Paul Greengrass is back to direct with his goddamn shaky cam antics, ruining every fight scene.  There is a decent car chase but it comes too late in the film to save it.  Vikander is practically a robot, Cassel doesn't have enough screen time, and you can see Tommy Lee Jones aging as the film progresses.

If you liked this franchise, you'll most likely enjoy this and should disregard my opinions entirely.  If you didn't, you're most likely not going to see it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment