Sunday, January 14, 2018

Keeping Mum (2005)

  I don't understand how, but the British made murder adorable.

Gloria Goodfellow (Kristin Scott Thomas) is trying to be a good wife to the vicar (Rowan Atkinson), but she is bored and tempted by the flashy golf pro, Lance (Patrick Swayze).  Fortunately, their new housekeeper, Grace (Maggie Smith), has a surefire remedy for all life's little setbacks:  murder.  Like a psychotic Mary Poppins, Grace begins improving the lives of all the Goodfellows by removing obstacles to their happiness.

Seriously, this is super cute and it really shouldn't be.  Grace kills a bunch of people.  And somehow it's just quaint and sweet.  I was watching this and all I could think was that I'd totally let Dame Maggie Smith kill me.  I guess you could still call this dark humor, but it's the kind of movie you could put on, sit under a comfy blanket, and drink hot cocoa while watching.  Just, you know, make your own cocoa so you know it hasn't been poisoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment