Monday, January 8, 2018

75th Annual Golden Globe Awards recap

This was a big milestone for the Golden Globes.  Seventy-five years.  It kind of got lost by the wayside, however, as every single attendee was focused on the protest against sexual harassment.  Nearly everyone wore black and many also wore pins for Time's Up, an organization pushing for wage parity and victim advocacy for women, among other goals.  Every time the camera panned over the audience all I could think was that this looked like the most fun funeral ever.  Like, when I die, I want Oprah and Meryl Streep drinking champagne at my service.

Seth Meyers hosted for the first time and it had to have been a rough gig, despite the fact that Meyers was one of the most inoffensive hosts I've ever seen.  He tried to lighten the mood and toss in a couple of zingers but most of the material felt too soft to make any sort of impact.  Still, it could have been much worse.  Let's get to the awards.

Best Actress in a TV Series, Limited Series, or Made for TV Movie:  Nicole Kidman for Big Little Lies

I haven't watched the show but I do know that Kidman took way too long to give her speech and set the whole show off chasing the clock.  Everybody wants their say and I get that.  What they are saying is important and needs to be said.  Agreed.  But say it on Twitter or Instagram.  Your award speech is to thank your co-workers and family and then get the hell off the stage.

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture:  Sam Rockwell for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Actress in a TV Show Musical or Comedy:  Rachel Brosnahan for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Best Actress in a TV Show Drama:  Elizabeth Moss for The Handmaid's Tale

Best Actor in a TV Series Drama:  Sterling K. Brown for This is Us

Best TV Series Drama:  The Handmaid's Tale

Best Supporting Actor in a TV Series, Limited Series, or Made for TV Movie:  Alexander Skarsgaard for Big Little Lies

Best Original Score:  Alexandre Desplat for The Shape of Water

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a trifle bitchy for Desplat to toss of that little comment about how the faceplate for the award was a different color than last year's trophy.  Like he has so many he was already wondering how he was going to be able to tell them apart.

Best Original Song:  "This is Me" from The Greatest Showman

Yaaaassss.  Though I'm sad that Keala Settle wasn't on hand to actually perform it.  With the beard, of course.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy:  James Franco for The Disaster Artist

Ugh.  Franco.  I will freely admit that I have avoided any promos for this movie because of my irrational hatred of James Franco.  I was not prepared for the accent he adopted in playing Tommy Wiseau for the film, mostly because I have also never seen and have never been interested in seeing The Room.  I did think it was hilarious that the real Wiseau tried to Kanye Franco's acceptance speech and was denied.

Best Supporting Actress in a TV Series, Limited Series, or Made for TV Movie:  Laura Dern for Big Little Lies

Best Animated Feature:  Coco

Because Pixar.  I'm so sad I didn't get to see it in theaters.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy:  Allison Janney for I, Tonya

I love Allison Janney and she looked fucking amazing.  I also thought it was nice, if a little bizarre, that she had such warm words for Tonya Harding.  I remember the Kerrigan/Harding drama from when I was a little girl so maybe I'm just biased.  I play to see the movie, which clearly has a different take on the events.

Best Screenplay:  Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Foreign Language Film:  In the Fade

I don't know what was happening here.  Fatih Akin made no fucking sense in his acceptance speech and poor Diane Kruger looked like she was just as confused when he dragged her onstage with him.

Best Actor in a TV Series, Limited Series, or Made for TV Movie:  Ewan McGregor for Fargo

Best TV Series, Musical or Comedy:  The Marvelous Mrs.  Maisel

Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy:  Aziz Ansari for Master of None

Ansari gave a really nice speech, even if he did get censored.

Oprah Winfrey is the first African American woman to be presented with the Cecil B. Demille Award.  There was a really nice video package of the extent of her contributions to the entertainment industry and her humanitarian efforts in general.  

Now I understand that Oprah is basically a demigod and you don't fuck with demigods, but Jesus Christ, she gave a long ass speech.  It was a good speech, very powerful, very affirming, and it completely lifted the crowd, but it was really long in a show that was already pressed for time.

Best Director:  Guillermo Del Toro for The Shape of Water

Guillermo Del Toro absolutely refused to be rushed off after Oprah's speech cut into his time allowance.  He also had the best line of the night when he cracked that being a director is the worst demonic bargain because you trade three years of your life for one credit on IMDb.    

Best Limited Series, or Made for TV Movie:  Big Little Lies

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy:  Saoirse Ronan for Lady Bird

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama:  Gary Oldman for Darkest Hour

I thought it was really nice how Oldman spent the majority of his speech thanking his makeup team.  From the marketing stills, they deserved it.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama:  Frances McDormand for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I don't know if Aziz Ansari made the censor guy nervous or if s/he was warned ahead of time about McDormand but there were several false starts where the censor bleeped her for no reason.  Which is pretty funny.

Best Motion Picture, Drama:  Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

No comments:

Post a Comment