Sunday, July 22, 2018

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

  I also watched this on the plane ride back from Ireland.  It was a long flight.

Mildred (Frances McDormand) has had enough of waiting for the police of her small town to find her daughter's killer.  She pays for three billboards, dragging the police into the public eye and sparking a tide of resentment that exposes the underlying divisions in the community.

This won two Oscars out of seven nominations and both were extremely well deserved.  McDormand is a force in this film while Sam Rockwell turns what could have been a one-note character into one with surprising growth.  I was prepared for how emotional I thought it was going to be, based on the marketing.  I was not prepared for how hilarious it was.  I laughed through this whole movie.

I hated In Bruges and thought Seven Psychopaths was overrated but Martin McDonagh finally came through for me.  I was really dreading this film and it turned out to be my favorite of the Oscar bunch so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment