Monday, September 23, 2019

Eraserhead (1977)

  This is listed on Rotten Tomatoes as a horror movie but I wouldn't classify it as such, so much as it is just a deeply, deeply weird film.  David Lynch, the writer, producer, and director, has said that it was a metaphor for being a new father and ...yes.  That is definitely a thing I would say is in it.

Henry (Jack Nance) is forced to marry his girlfriend (Charlotte Stewart) after she comes up pregnant but the strain of a newborn puts enormous pressure on them both.

That's the most normal way to describe this film, which plays like it has been written for and by aliens with only a vague concept of humanity.  Like, an alien heard about humans once in a TV show and thought "those creatures sound horrifying yet somehow banal.  They will be perfect metaphors for the destructions of the socio-industrial complex of my society."  I'm on to you, Lynch.

Anyway, this movie didn't give me an existential crisis or anything (probably because I don't have children and never wanted any) but I also have a pretty high tolerance for weird.  I could definitely see the influence this has gone on to have on film-makers like Darren Aronofsky but I found it damn near unbearably boring to watch.  Sorry, film nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment