Saturday, September 21, 2019

Splinter (2008)

  I was going to watch Elmer Gantry but it's no longer available on Amazon Prime so I watched Splinter on Hulu instead.  I didn't have super high expectations so I was pleasantly surprised.

A biology PhD candidate (Paulo Costanzo) and his outdoorsy girlfriend (Jill Wagner) are taken hostage by an escaped convict (Shea Whigam) and his tweaker girlfriend (Rachel Kerbs).  They get trapped in a gas station when a parasitic lifeform threatens all their lives.

I was thinking this would be like a zombie-infection type thing but it's more like Slither without the humor.  That description makes it sound lesser, and it's not.  It's just definitely not a comedy.  The small cast and isolated location ramp up the tension and the creature effects, a mix of practical and CGI,  are very good.  I also really liked how characters' weren't just one-note.  They showed growth and didn't rely overmuch on archetypes like Tough Girl, Weak Nerd, Dumb Beefneck.  Not once did I want to scream "you fucking idiot" at the screen and I can't say that about all horror movies.

Like I said, it's streaming on Hulu so get into the October mood and say it with me now:  Fuck Camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment