Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)

  I love this movie.  It hasn't held up perfectly but it is still one of the best 90s action movies ever made.


Samantha Caine (Geena Davis) is an amnesiac.  She has hired expensive private detectives to search for her past to no avail.  Then, a convict (Joseph McKenna) sees her in a Christmas parade and her latest PI, Mitch Hennessey (Samuel L. Jackson) catches a break in her case when a suitcase reappears from a former landlady.  Samantha and Mitch must unravel her past as well as a huge government conspiracy.

So, I hate to pick on children, especially child actors, but Yvonne Zima is the worst part of this movie.  It's not her fault, but she's given almost nothing to do except cry and her lisp is very distracting.  I don't think the actress actually lisped either, I think it was affected but I can't find anything to back that up in the 3 seconds of Googling I just did.  Anyway, I found her very annoying. Everything else in this movie is pure gold, however.  The dialogue alone is fantastic, courtesy of Shane Black, and Davis is a great action star.  It's a shame the 90s just weren't ready for a female-led franchise.  Samuel L. Jackson is Samuel L. Jackson and this is one of the most Samuel L. Jackson roles he's ever played.

I don't even know where you could find this on streaming but it doesn't matter.  You should buy a copy.  Make this one of the Christmas rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment