Saturday, September 7, 2019

Wishful Drinking (2010)

    In addition to being princess in a galaxy far, far away, Carrie Fisher was an author, a comedienne, and the child of two huge Hollywood stars.  This one-woman show is based on her memoir of the same name and covers her childhood, the major scandals, her relationships, and highlights of her career.

Carrie Fisher was a wonderfully funny woman but I really don't think this show does her justice.  It came off as very stilted at times, I think because she talks to the audience as if she's giving a lecture, complete with audience participation.  I would almost have rather it been more detached, more theatrical, but I also don't watch a lot of one-person shows so maybe that's just more me being unfamiliar with the format.  If you didn't know a lot about her as a person, this is still a pretty valuable experience and even if you did, who wouldn't want to go back and spend some more time with her?

It's currently streaming through HBO which I have through Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment