Saturday, April 3, 2021

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (2020)

Nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Best Adapted Screenplay    I cannot begin to tell you how much I loathed this movie.  No, I didn't see the first one.  No, I will never see the first one.  I respect Sacha Baron Cohen and I see the work he put in and I get what he was doing here, but I fucking hated it.  It's not funny to me.

Kazakhstani journalist Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) is given a chance to redeem himself after his last foray to America.  He is to present Vice President Mike Pence (himself) with a gift of a trained chimpanzee.  He is dismayed to find that his daughter Tutar (Maria Bakalova) has shipped herself to the United States and eaten the chimp, so he decides to offer Tutar to the Vice President instead.  Through a makeover and a series of heartfelt encounters with residents across the Southern states, Borat slowly comes to realize that his daughter means something to him other than a political pawn.

Maria Bakalova was an incredibly good sport but if anybody deserves a fucking Oscar, it's Jeanise Jones, the non-actor babysitter who put up with so much shit from these people.  What a phenomenally warm-hearted, genuine human being.  I hope she gets every good thing in life.

Anyway, that's the only positive thing I can say.  I hated every part of this movie.  None of it was funny and it filled me with the deepest despair.  It's currently streaming on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment