Sunday, April 18, 2021

Ava (2020)

  There comes a point in every Oscar season where I lose my tiny mind and have to watch something, anything, that isn't a nominee.  We have reached that point.

Ava (Jessica Chastain) is a damned good assassin, when she's not being a recovering addict asking her victims questions about what they did to deserve being murdered, to the exasperation of her handler, Duke (John Malkovich).  After a particularly bad incident, Ava returns to her hometown to lie low, but finds that family is much harder than killing people for money.

This is a very straightforward assassin movie elevated only by its cast.  Seriously, this is A-list talent in a B-list at best film.  Chastain is clearly angling towards more physical action roles as opposed to love interests and I think that's wonderful.  Please inundate me with all the badass women my TV can hold.  Love love love.  This is currently streaming on Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment