Saturday, April 24, 2021

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020)

Nominated for Best Original Song     I'm so mad I had to watch this movie.  I'm even madder that I kinda liked it.  I think I've only seen 3 of the 5 Best Song nominees but this was definitely the best of the lot.  I'm so annoyed.

Lars Erickssong (Will Ferrell) has wanted to win the Eurovision Song Contest for Iceland since he was a little boy.  His partner and probably not his sister, Sigrit (Rachel McAdams), wants Lars to win because she thinks after that he'll finally see her as a person and want to marry her.  The problem is their band kind of sucks.  But a random chance sees them elevated to the national competition, and a strange "accident" sees them as the only survivors and headed for Edinburgh and the Eurovision stage.  Faced with a world of competitors, far out of their comfort zones, Lars and Sigrit must figure out who they are and what they're really fighting for.  

This is a profoundly dumb and predictable movie.  Everything you think is going to happen, happens.  AND YET... all of the music is amazing and totally worth watching.  There are a ton of cameos (obvi) from pop stars and Dan Stevens is hilariously weird as always (though he doesn't do his own singing, which was a disappointment) and Pierce Brosnan doesn't do any singing at all (a profound relief).  

I am not a Will Ferrell fan for the most part.  His movies just aren't the kind of humor I like and he comes across as shrill to me.  McAdams is criminally underrated as a comic actress, so maybe watch it for her?  And the soundtrack, which I cannot stress enough, is fantastic.  Even if I had "Jah Jah Ding Dong" stuck in my head for two straight days.

It's currently streaming on Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment