Sunday, August 29, 2021

Timbuktu (2014)

  I hated this so much I started fast-forwarding through the last 45 minutes.  It's only an hour and a half long.  

Kidane (Ibrahim Ahmed) lives a quiet traditional life herding cattle in the desert outside the city of Timbuktu.  An argument with a neighbor over a dead cow turns into a fistfight, then a murder.  He must now face the judgment of the corrupt jihadists in control of the city, one of whom (Abel Jafri) has already been making overtures at Kidane's wife, Satima (Toulou Kiki).  

The whole point of this movie is "religious fundamentalists are bad" and yeah.  It's almost never about religion and almost always about petty people having power over others.  I didn't need a whole ass movie to tell me that.  

"Visually beautiful" it definitely is, but "searing and brilliant"?  I don't think so.  It's currently streaming on Tubi with ads or Kanopy with a library card.



No comments:

Post a Comment