Monday, August 2, 2021

Antichrist (2009)

  So the content warnings for this are going to be brutal.  

CW: dead child, dead baby animals, graphic sex (full penetration), genital mutilation, brief torture

After the accidental death of their child, a couple (Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg) go to a cabin in the woods to recover and work through their grief.  The husband soon discovers that science and rationality don't really count for a lot in the face of tragedy.

This is billed as a horror movie but it really isn't.  Unless you are afraid of women.  In which case, maybe.  And you should probably get therapy.

Anyway, I hated this.  At first, it put me in mind of Midsommar but by the end, it definitely reminded me more of The Witch.  If you liked The Witch, hey, good news!  

Dafoe and Gainsbourg are game for all the bullshit this movie puts them through and I can't fault them for that even as I actively loathed their characters.  The cinematography ranges from gorgeous to interesting to fucking shaky cam.  It is very obviously deliberate, which just makes me hate it more.  This now makes the second of von Trier's films that I've seen and I am not forming a positive impression of him.

It's currently streaming on the Criterion Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment