Saturday, January 1, 2022

As We Limp Into 2022

 I reviewed 205 movies/TV shows this year but only 17 of them were actually released in 2021.  The second year of the pandemic put a glacial chill on my desire to be among other human beings in general, but especially in a dark windowless room.  Fortunately, this was a bumper year for streaming as the line between cinematic and made-for-TV got blurred.  If it hadn't been, I don't know that I would have seen anything this year.

10.  Kate - There were several Girls Kick Ass movies that came out this year but Mary Elizabeth Winstead held it down like very few others.

9. Luca - It was not a good year for animated movies for me personally.  I think I only saw like two of them but Luca was a great, family-friendly movie.

8. Gunpowder Milkshake - I love badass assassins with a heart of gold and this bumped over Kate by also having Michelle Yeoh and Angela Bassett on tap.

7. Venom: Let There Be Carnage - My favorite rom-com of the year.

6. Dune - I really didn't know until I was putting my list together if Dune was going to hold up to the end of the year.  It really is a masterful sci-fi epic, though.

5. The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It - I had to get in my favorite horror franchise.  It's not as good as the original but I love the dynamic between Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson so much.

4. Black Widow - Gave us Yelena Belova and we really couldn't have asked for more.

3. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - This was on track to be my favorite Marvel film until NWH came out.  I still love it and it's an instant classic that I will revisit again and again.

2. Spider-Man: No Way Home - But I had to give it up for a fucking pitch perfect Spider-Man movie.

1. The Suicide Squad - And three Spideys still wasn't enough to unseat James Gunn's comic book masterpiece.  He made me care about Polka Dot Man and a girl who controls rats.  That is witchcraft of the highest magnitude.

So, as usual, these are my choices for favorite films.  Not "Best" films, but the ones that made me smile the most.  2021 didn't give a lot of us many chances to smile but we took the ones we got and ran with them.

Here's what I'm looking forward to in the coming year:

The 355 - This was pushed from 2021 to 2022 because of the pandemic and is probably going to go straight to Netflix on January 7.  I am okay with this.

Morbius - Another Spider-Man antihero gets a shot at fame.  Can it tap into the Venom magic?  Who knows.  January 28.

Death on the Nile - Pushed from 2021, this big budget remake crams a ton of stars onto a boat and gives Kenneth Branagh another chance to wax his mustache as Poirot February 11.

Uncharted - Tyler is super mad about this because he still wants Nathan Fillion to be the star.  I don't think casting is going to save it from the video game adaptation curse but what do I know?  Feb 18.

The Batman - Here we go again.  March 4

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - It'll be nice to see Wanda fucking stuff up again.  May 6.

Thor: Love and Thunder - This is going to be insane and I'm here for it.  July 8.

Black Adam - Honestly, it's been so long since Shazam that I kinda don't care about this anymore but I might again by July 29.

Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse Part One - Super excited for this.  October 7.

The Flash - At this point, I'm convinced this movie is just a collective delusion.  It's not real, it's not happening, and Nov 4 is just an arbitrary date.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - I just really want them to have better costumes this time.  Dec 16.

Not a lot, really, when you think about it but I'm sure more will get announced as the year progresses.  There will be surprises, hits and misses, and I'll be here to catalog and review them as always, so you don't have to.  Happy New Year, internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment