Saturday, August 15, 2026

Nirvanna the Band the Show the Movie (2026)

  I could tell in the first fifteen minutes that I was not going to be the target audience for this movie but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying it.

Jay (Jay McCarol) and Matt (Matt Johnson) have been trying for years to book a show at The Rivoli, a nightclub in Toronto, but after Matt's latest stunt --parachuting from the top of the CN Tower-- nearly gets them both killed, Jay has had enough.  He secretly books an open mike night as a solo artist in Ottawa, planning to sneak out while Matt is asleep.  Meanwhile, Matt is blithely continuing with his latest plan to turn their RV into a fake time machine and falls asleep inside, waking up when Jay is driving them to Ottawa.  In the confusion, they discover it is actually a real time machine and accidentally travel back to when they were first starting out in 2008.  

It's an odd mixture of guerrilla filmmaking and scripted plots.  You don't need to have seen either the previous web series or the TV show to follow it, although I'm sure it's a richer experience if you have.  Maybe they explain why some of the cursing is censored, and some isn't.  I found the characters irritating so it was never going to work for me.  Matt, in particular, reminded me of the guy from Creep.  It's not the style of humor I like and one of my biggest pet peeves is when a mediocre movie's plot hinges on showing a better film.  In this case, that's Back to the Future.  But if this is something that you like, it's currently streaming on Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment