Monday, August 10, 2026

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2008)

  This took ages to find.  I tried a couple of different times to watch it but the subtitles were messed up so I had to wait until it cycled back onto HBO Max.  Not 100% sure it was worth the trouble.

Makoto (Riisa Naka) was a normal high school girl until an accident gave her the power to jump through time.  At first, this seems like an easy way to fix all the minor inconveniences in her life.  Fail a test?  Do it again.  Accidentally set something on fire?  No, you didn't.  Best guy friend asks you out and you don't know how to respond?  Go back and avoid that whole conversation.  But when the changes begin to have consequences for the people around her, she begins to truly understand the cost of knowledge.

It's fine.  It's a very slight film that doesn't have anything profound to say, but it was entertaining enough for a Sunday.  Everything stays very localized around Makoto which makes it more digestible.  It's kind of funny that I managed to watch two films about high schoolers traveling through time this weekend.  I feel like Masoka would have gotten on with Bill and Ted like a house on fire.  They're all equally stupid.  It's currently streaming on HBO Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment