Monday, August 3, 2026

Obsession (2026)

  Content warning:  dead animal (cat), suicide, blood, self-harm, vomit

Bear (Michael Johnston) has a crush on his co-worker, Nikki (Inde Navarrette).  Rather than confess his feelings to her, he buys a novelty item from a spiritualist shop called a One-Wish Willow.  Breaking the wand grants the user one wish and Bear wishes that Nikki would love him.  So she does.  But as her behavior grows more and more unhinged, Bear begins to wish that he'd read the fine print on the box.

This movie was hilarious.  Five stars.  All credit to Inde Navarrette, who really can't be praised enough.  Her performance makes this movie.  I hope she gets so much work.  Also, shout out to Curry Barker who wrote and directed the film.  For a sophomore feature, this is incredibly polished.   

This would be such a good double-feature with Weapons.  I know Companion seems obvious, but you're wrong.  Tech versus magic.  Completely different vibes.  Watch it with Weapons.  It has been a while since I have been this excited after seeing a horror movie and I am thrilled.  It's streaming on Peacock but I am probably going to buy a copy so I can make people watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment