Thursday, February 4, 2010

Paris 36 (2009)

Nominated for: Best Original Song "Loin de Paname"  

I watched Paris 36 last night as the first of my Oscar nominations. I seriously doubt this was ever released to the States or, if it was, outside of Los Angeles. Which is a shame, since it's a good film.

It's set in 1936 Paris, the Rue de Fauberg. The Chansonia is a falling-down vaudeville stage owned by the neighborhood loan shark/real estate agent. Three friends, Pigoil, Emile, and Jacky, along with a beautiful and mysterious young ingenue try to revamp the old Grande Dame back into the powerhouse she used to be.

It actually reminded me a lot of Moulin Rouge, except you know, it was actually in French. And someone does get shot at the end. (But I won't tell you who!)

When I saw that one of the characters' hunger for fame led him to opening for the French Fascists, I thought "This movie is a shoe-in. The Academy loves them some WWII references." Then I remembered that it's up for Best Song, not Best Picture. And it's up against two Disney songs plus one of the best songs from the otherwise dull Nine. So I don't think it'll be carrying home gold, but it's a good film nonetheless. If you liked Moulin Rouge but the Baz Luhrman-ness of it got on your nerves, this is a good pick for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment