Monday, June 27, 2011

Fired Up! (2009)

  This is one of the rare guy-oriented comedies I really enjoyed.  Seriously, I can count the films of this type that I liked on one hand:  Fired Up, Super Troopers, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, and Bad Santa.  That's it.

I originally saw this on Christy's recommendation (before The Experiment began) and loved it so much she actually bought it for me.  Since then, I have pushed it onto as many people as I possibly could.  Including my new boyfriend, Rob, whom I promised I wouldn't talk about on my site.  Hi!

Anyway, the movie is about two football jocks (Nick and Sean) who join cheerleading camp in order to hook up.  It's a thin premise that is only slightly elevated because they don't attempt to dress in drag in order to accomplish this.  These types of movies live and die by dialogue, and this one is outstanding in that respect.

The quips come in fast and strong from both main characters with Sean's acerbic kid sister Poppy picking up the third place slot.  The cheerleaders have a few choice lines apiece as caricatures and then the rest are doled out amongst the supporting cast.  The only one who is played completely straight is Team Captain Carly, the resident not-amused-by-anything girl.  Last night was my fourth time watching the movie and I found her to be rapidly losing lustre with each review.  The rest of it holds up very well, however, which is my defining criterion for ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment