Sunday, October 2, 2011

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

  This one predates my Oscar countdown by a year.  This one won Best Picture.  I didn't queue it up because of that, though.  The Academy and I were on the outs at that point for the No Country for Old Men travesty.  My mother saw it and recommended it to me, however, so I figured I'd see what the fuss was all about.

Almost three years later...

It's not a bad movie.  It's a lot better than many of the Best Picture winners from previous years.  Did it deserve to win?  Not in my opinion.  Juno had the popular appeal, but for my money, Michael Clayton was a better film.  I think either of those would stand up to the test of time better than this one, which is really just a cute little star-crossed lovers story.

Jamal (Dev Patel) is one question away from winning the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, despite having been born in the slums of Mumbai with no real formal education.  Fortunately for him, every question he has answered came directly from all the hardships he has faced in life, which are legion.  Not so fortunately, he is suspected of cheating and hauled off for interrogation.  He spills his entire life story to the Inspector (Irrfan Khan) about being orphaned with his brother Salim (Madhur Mittal) and falling instantly in love with Latika (Freida Pinto), only to lose her again and again.  The only reason he even wants to be on the show is because he thinks she's watching.

The depictions of life in the slums are depressing, as they should be, but the overall tone of the movie is upbeat.  It's better than City of God but I wouldn't own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment