Monday, October 31, 2011

Mr. Brooks (2007)

  I wanted to get in at least one more horror film on Halloween, even though it's 11:37 DST right now and I may not make it in time.  I saw this one on Saturday and I really liked it.  It's understated, even though it's packed with stars, and it's a solid psych thriller.  Think Dexter in twenty years.

Earl Brooks (Kevin Costner) has problems.  He is a successful businessman, a loving husband and father, but he has an addiction.  He likes killing people.  It's bad enough that he always has a little voice in the back of his head named Marshall (played by William Hurt) urging him to give in to his baser desires, but now he has a guy who wants to be his apprentice (Dane Cook) and a cop (Demi Moore) on his tail.  The apprentice has pictures of him killing a couple and the cop is independently wealthy so she'll never stop chasing.  To top it all off, his daughter (Danielle Panabaker) has dropped out of college and moved back in to his house.  What's a serial killer to do?

This is a huge departure in roles for almost all of the actors here and I think that's great.  I would definitely buy this if, you know, I had a job right now.  It's going on my wish list, though!  If any of you out there are Christmas shopping, you can totally get me this.  Or the new Kindle Fire.  Or cash.

Rob refused to watch it because he's already half-afraid that I'm going to murder him in his sleep one night.  I don't know what that has to do with the movie, either.  I put my foot down tonight, though.  It's Halloween, dammit, and everyone knows you have to watch horror movies on Halloween.  So, I gave him a choice:  Behind the Mask, Trick 'r' Treat, or Wolf.  He chose Trick 'r' Treat, which is probably the most appropriate.  So we just got through with that.

No trick or treaters made an appearance, which is always disappointing.  I used to go through 6, 7 bags of candy when I lived in a subdivision but an apartment complex?  I don't even buy candy now.  Unless I'm going to eat it.  Oh, well.  There's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment