Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dirty Dancing (1987)

  I took a break from my alphabetizing (now on Pushing Daisies!) to watch Dirty Dancing.  Well, that's not really true.  I took a break to force Rob to watch Dirty Dancing.  Can you believe, a child of the 80's who had never seen this movie?  I couldn't stand for that, so in the tradition of girlfriends everywhere, I sat him down and glued his eyelids open so he couldn't look away.

Of course he liked it.  I don't know anyone who doesn't like Dirty Dancing.  Even people who claim to hate Dirty Dancing are just embarrassed to have like it.  It's one of approximately 5 girly movies I own (discounting musicals and Disney).  I can't say it's one of my favorites but I will always have fond nostalgic memories of watching it while baby-sitting with my cousin, Fallon, when I was 10 or 11.

For the 15 people on the planet who have never seen this movie, it's about a girl named Baby (Jennifer Grey) who goes with her family on vacation to an aging resort called Kellerman's.  Once there, she meets the sexy, brooding dance instructor Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze) and his platonic partner Penny (Cynthia Rhodes).  Penny is unfortunately knocked up by some douchebag waiter and, since it's 1963, has to go to a back alley doctor.   But, oh no!  She and Johnny were scheduled to dance an exhibition at the nearby hotel and if they don't go, they don't get paid for the summer.  Baby to the rescue!  She begins mambo training with Johnny in secret since her parents won't approve.  Cue montage!  During all this close-knit time together, Baby and Johnny fall in looooooove.  But can their relationship survive the wrath of Baby's daddy (Jerry Orbach)?

Of course it can.  It's an 80's movie.  Come on, now!

Everybody who has seen this movie, I'm sorry because I know you will now have the theme song playing in your head for the rest of the day.  Sing it with me:  Now I... (I!)... haaad the time. of. my. liiiiife and I ne-vuh felt this way before!  And I swear...it's the truuuth...  And I owe. it. all. to. youuuuu!
SAXOPHONE SOLO!

1 comment:

  1. GODDAMMIT!......now i'm gonna have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the night...shit...

    ReplyDelete