Monday, October 17, 2011

Angel of Death (2009)

  This is one of those movies that I like because it doesn't pretend to be anything else.  It knows it's a B-movie and it's perfectly comfortable with that.  And because it knows what it is, it doesn't ask you the viewer to pretend anything otherwise.  That's very comforting.

After getting stabbed in the head doing a job, assassin Eve (Zoe Bell) starts getting haunted by the ghost of a girl she killed.  In order to satisfy the restless spirit, she starts hunting down the people who pulled her strings.

And there you have it:  short and sweet.  I watch a lot of movies from big budget blockbusters to indie documentaries.  Some of them are good, some of them are not, but the ones that I dislike the most are the ones that masquerade as something else.  You know what I mean.  You see the trailer and it looks like it'll be this big thing and then you see it and it just fizzles.  I had to stop checking out trailers on Apple for that very reason.  My expectations were too high and the movie just never lived up to them.  I'd never even heard of this one and it's pretty good.

Bonus:  it has Doug Jones (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) in it as a doctor.  I think that may have been the first time I've ever seen that guy without some sort of latex suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment