Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall TV 2011

I've been watching a lot of TV recently.  Holy crap, have I been watching TV.  I wanted to give all the new fall line-ups a shot so I took a break from my exhausting movie posting schedule (ha!) to check out what's new.

Monday
2 Broke Girls (CBS) is hilarious so far.  I am totally Max, the Brooklyn waitress with a smart mouth and a flair for cupcake baking.  She strikes up an uneasy partnership with Caroline, the dispossessed daughter of a Ponzi scheming dad.
Terra Nova (FOX) is a lot like Jurassic Park meets Land of the Lost in a one-hour drama about people who move from a polluted future to an alternate timestream in the dinosaur age.  This one is getting a maybe.
The Playboy Club (NBC) is surprisingly good, or at least the pilot was.  A new bunny (Amber Heard) accidentally kills a mob boss after he attempts to sexually assault her and the assistant district attorney helps her cover it up.

Of course there's also the last season of House and the new season of Castle.

Tuesday
New Girl (FOX), the Zooey Deschanel comedy, left me completely cold.  I found the main character, Jess, annoying and the three male roommates were flat caricatures.  I will not be continuing with this show.
I'm not watching Ringer because it's on the CW (strike 1), it stars Sarah Michelle Gellar (strike 2), and it's about a woman who takes over the life of her dead twin (strike 3).
I missed the premiere for Unforgettable, some cop drama about a woman with perfect recall, so I'll be waiting for the reviews of that one to see if it's good enough to Netflix.
Besides, I have Glee and Raising Hope to watch.

Wednesday
Suburgatory (ABC) turned out to be a really funny show about a kid and her dad (Jeremy Sisto) who move from Manhattan to the suburbs. 
I'm hoping Harry's Law (NBC) turns out to be the new Boston Legal.  
I think Revenge (ABC) will end up being like Desperate Housewives:  good for one season and crap thereafter.
American Horror Story (FX) premieres this week and I am looking forward to that.  

Thursday
Charlie's Angels (ABC) is total crap but I will watch it anyway.  Call that a guilty pleasure if you must. Plus, the new Bosley is hot.
Rob's very interested in Person of Interest (CBS), the new JJ Abrams/Jonathan Nolan drama about two dudes who use a sophisticated government surveillance system to solve crimes that don't fall under the purview of national security.  I'm less enthused by Jim Caviezel's performance.  I would like him to be more charismatic but it's a decent show.

Friday
A Gifted Man (CBS) has a really great cast but the pilot didn't really thrill me.  Basically, a surgeon is being haunted by his dead ex-wife so he won't be such an asshole.  
Still, the only other thing on Fridays is Kitchen Nightmares.

Sunday
Pan Am (ABC) turned out to be very different than I expected, with a Cold War spy twist.  I'll definitely give that one a shot this season.  
Dexter (Showtime) is back starting tonight.  All the seasons after 3 have kind of sucked (except for the finale of 4.  That was awesome) so I'm on the fence about this one.  Supposedly he finds religion.  We'll see how that goes.

There are a couple more stragglers near the end of October, both fairy-tales-with-a-twist (Grimm on Fridays and Once Upon a Time on Sundays).  I'll probably mention something about them if they're any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment