Saturday, July 3, 2010

Clerks II (2006)

  I have probably seen this movie half a dozen times. It's still funny. Last night I took it over to a neighbor's house. One of them had never seen it, and as you know, showing a personal favorite to the uninitiated is one of my greatest joys in life. It's like I can watch it for the first time again. I'm not generally good with people (shocker, I know) but with a movie I don't have to be.

I think this is probably Kevin Smith's most complete movie to date. I love Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Dogma more than this one because I think they're funnier, but Clerks II has more of a balance between the adult and the juvenile. And it has a donkey show.

People hate on Jersey Girl (for good reason) but it really was a watershed moment in Smith's oeuvre. He took a more serious ideal and built jokes around it, like a ribcage around the heart of the film. Clerks II added flesh to that structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment