Sunday, January 23, 2011

State of Play (2009)


  This was a better movie that I thought it would be. I probably should have paid more attention while I was watching it, though. I almost missed the big twist because I had been kind of half-listening the whole time. Don't worry, you can still figure it out; it's more about the how than the who.

Ben Affleck is a senator whose aide is killed on the cusp of a huge investigation into a private military group.  He gets his college roommate (Russell Crowe), a reporter, to look into the matter.  

Wow, I really thought it was going to take longer to summarize the plot.  Fuck.

It has a great ensemble cast including Rachel McAdams as a web reporter, Helen Mirren as the chief editor, Robin Wright Penn as the senator's wife, and Jeff Daniels as the majority whip.  Also, Jason Bateman plays an asshole party-boy.  

Would I buy it?  No.  But it's a good film if you're in on a cold night and you want something fairly serious but not stuffy to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment