Monday, May 16, 2011

Blood: The Last Vampire (2000)

  I already reviewed the live action movie based on this, but I finally got around to watching the original anime Sunday night. It's only 48 minutes long so there isn't nearly as much plot as the follow-up movie but there were a couple of stand-out differences.
First off, the animation is beautifully photo-realistic at some points, making for very crisp visuals.

My chief problem with the live movie was the terrible CGI on the creatures.  Happily, the anime avoids that issue and the Oni (demons that feast on human blood) look all gross and stuff like they're supposed to without making my eye twitch. 

I wish either movie had given more of the backstory of the main character, Saya, such as why she's the last of her kind, where the "original" vampires came from, and why she seems to really hate Oni. 

And, according to IMDB, that's because this was supposed to be a three-part series but due to budget restraints, only the middle episode was released.  Man, I should really do research before I start writing these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment