Sunday, May 8, 2011

New York, I Love You (2009)

  Happy Mother's Day!  Here's an unrelated movie!

My cousin thinks I have no heart.  Not true.  I simply find different things romantic.  This movie is about the romance of a city.

I saw the first of the Cities of Love series, Paris Je T'aime, back in 2008 and it resonated very strongly for me.  I knew I was going to see the second film but, as with all follow-up efforts, I wondered if it could match the original.

The good news is that it doesn't try.  The film-makers (both the films are made up of vignettes that are spliced into a larger whole) really captured the different feel of the cities.  As anyone who as been to either place can tell you, Paris and NYC have completely different vibes. 

There are some great moments in this film, from comedic (Anton Yelchin's prom experience) to sad (a shockingly good turn from Shia LaBeouf as a Russian bellhop with scoliosis) to poignant (a Hassidic Jewish woman and a Jain man reflect on the differences that bring them together). 

Look at the poster.  Chances are, unless you've been living under a rock, you know 90% of the names on it.  These are great actors making the most of good material and it combines to make a fantastic film.

According to their website, there are three other City of Love movies slated for release, for Rio, Jerusalem, and Shanghai.  The latter one is expected to premiere in China this year, which means we'll see a US release probably early 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment