Saturday, May 14, 2011

Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)

This was a fun movie.  I'm pretty sure Christy only chose it as her monthly feature in an effort to pad her success rate but I'm not going to quibble. 

This wasn't nearly the revelation in movies other people who recommended it to me made it out to be, but that's okay.  I'm not a big Michael Cera fan.  I never saw the comics.  Hell, I never even played arcade games.  I still enjoyed the movie.

Scott Pilgrim is a bassist in an indie band as well as a full-time slacker.  He dates Knives Chow, a high-school girl, as a rebound from the girl who broke his heart.  Then he meets Ramona Flowers, the multi-hue-haired girl of his dreams.  But, to win the heart of Fair Maiden, he must defeat all of her 7 Evil Exes in combat. 

It's cute, it's quirky, and it's got a lot of really good points.

Let's start with the stuff I loved:  1) Kieran Culkin as Scott's gay roommate Wallace.  Everytime he was on screen, he was hilarious.  I could have stood seeing way more of him.

2) Scott's sister Stacey.  She has only a little screen time but she's worth it.

3) Scott's ex-girlfriend Natalie/NV.  I really want to download the song her fake band plays. 

4) The fight choreography.  Every single battle was beautifully shot, frequently hilarious, and epically epic.

5) The Vegan Police.  This was the only part of the movie that made me physically laugh. 
"Gelato isn't vegan?"
"It's milk and eggs, bitch."

Priceless.

As far as the Evil Exes, Chris Evans was the stand-out, followed by a tie between Roxy and Matthew Patel.  Jason Schwartzman got really annoying really quickly and that kind of ruined his battle for me.  I would have liked to have seen a little more personality from Ramona.  She came off as more of a cardboard cut-out of a cute indie chick than a real person.  Also, Scott's band sucked.  I hated every minute they played.

Overall, a worthwhile film to catch on cable but not a must-buy.

1 comment:

  1. V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!!!!!!
    So excited I FINALLY found SOMETHING you even HALF enjoyed!!!! Ima go and pat myself on the back now *SQUEE*

    ReplyDelete