Monday, June 10, 2013

Bad Girls (1994)

  I remember watching this movie for the first time during a sleepover.  I think I was about 13.  I don't remember the nudity, so it may have been on TV and edited for content.  Or I could just not remember it.  Whatever.  I have a strong memory of this film because it was the first time an ending surprised me.  This one just didn't go the way I thought it should have.  

Watching it again now, I realize that in truth it's not a very good movie.  It's one of those quintessentially 90's movies that pretended it was about empowerment for women while really being completely geared toward men.  Still, if you own it as a guilty pleasure, I'm not going to judge you too badly.

When Wild West hooker Cody Zamora (Madeleine Stowe) kills a respected member of the town, she is dragged off by a lynch mob.  Her three prostitute friends rescue her and they flee.  Anita, the good girl, (Mary Stuart Masterson) reveals that her dead husband left her a land claim in the Oregon territory and Cody admits that she's rich.  However, while withdrawing their funds, the girls run afoul of Cody's ex, Kid Jarrett (James Russo) and Eileen, the manipulative one, (Andie McDowell) gets arrested.  Lily, the young hothead, (Drew Barrymore) wants to rescue her friend but Cody wants to go after the money.  Then Dermot Mulroney and some Pinkertons show up and things just head downhill in a hurry.

Again, no one in this movie has good decision-making skills.  They are ruled by impulse, have bad relationships, and barely scrape by using their feminine charms.  They are bare caricatures of "independent women" who giggle and shimmy and still need to be rescued by a big, strong man.  But they can change their own wagon wheel, so I guess that means you don't have to call them after.

No comments:

Post a Comment