Monday, June 17, 2013

Miller's Crossing (1990)

  I added Miller's Crossing to my queue after reading a list of the 10 best crime movies, I think.  I don't think I had ever heard of it or known anyone who had seen it.  It's a shame, really, as it's a very good movie.

Tommy Regan (Gabriel Byrne) is the right-hand man for Leo (Albert Finney), an Irish mobster in the 20's.  Tom warns against starting a schism with Johnny Caspar (Joe Polito), the rising Italian power in town, but Leo won't hear anything about it.  Caspar wants Leo to whack a bookie named Bernie (John Tuturro) who has been chiseling him but Leo is sleeping with Bernie's sister Verna (Marcia Gay Harden) and refuses.  This sparks an all-out war between him and Caspar.  Tom, who is also sleeping with Verna, tries to reason with him while fending off offers of employment from Caspar and Bernie.  But when Leo kicks him out, all bets are off.

It's very well-done with solid performances all around.  The Coen Brothers rarely make a misstep with film-making.  Even when I don't particularly care for the work (No Country for Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou?), I can still recognize that it is good work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment