Sunday, June 9, 2013

Believe: The Eddie Izzard Story (2009)

  Eddie Izzard, for those who don't know, is a wonderful comedienne and actress.  She's one of my favorite stand-up comics of all time.  I didn't know this (because I don't live in England) but apparently, Eddie got called out by a tabloid TV show for having "recycled" stand-up material in her acts. So, in 2009, she went on a workshop tour of England and basically built a new act from scratch.  In between working in various tiny venues, the documentary talks about her childhood (born in Yemen!), the early loss of her mother, her time as a street performer, coming out as a transvestite, and finding success all around the world.

I already own Glorious, Circle, Unrepeatable, and Definite Article, so most of the material shown was old hat for me.  Still, if you're interested in the woman behind the jokes, it's a decent primer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment