Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Dangerous Method (2011)

  The only real danger is dying of boredom.

When I was young, I was very interested in psychiatry.  I read everything I could get my hands on about the diseases of the mind.  Then I realized that, for all of the advances that have been made, there are very few cures for any mental illness.  This quickly curbed my interest, as puzzles with no solutions frustrate me.  I still think it is a very valuable profession and that more people could use a little introspection. 

In 1904, a young Russian woman named Sabina (Keira Knightley) is taken as a patient by Dr. Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender) who attempts the radical new procedure of psychoanalysis, developed by Dr. Sigmund Freud (Viggo Mortensen).  The therapy proves beneficial, as Sabina recovers enough to not only be in society but to also take a medical degree.  Along the way, Jung and his patient become lovers.  Meanwhile, Freud sees Jung as a potential successor but the two eventually grow apart over fundamental differences.

Are you asleep at your keyboard yet?

This is a straight character drama elevated only by Cronenberg's meticulous direction.  The film isn't my cup of tea in the slightest but I was still drawn in by the performances of the three leads.  I don't think you could put three more charismatic individuals in those roles.  I don't think Viggo Mortensen gets half the credit he deserves as an actor, Fassbender is a star on the rise and Knightley has always been more than just a pretty face.  If you're a fan of character studies or of the men in general, it's a decent film.  I just won't be adding it to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment