Monday, March 7, 2016

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

So it took me a little longer to buy this than I thought it would and even longer to actually see it again.  The good news is that I was able to show it to my godchildren, aged 7, 6, and 5, and they loved it.  This makes me feel like I'm actually doing a decent job with this godmother gig.     Originally posted 02 Jan 2011.  This is one of the best animated films I have seen in a loooong time.  And it's Dreamworks, not Pixar.  That's a shock.  That's like Mad Dog 20/20 winning a wine-tasting.
Harsh?  Maybe.  But, come on.  Dreamworks is like the slightly less accomplished younger sibling to Pixar.  You know, Pixar is the one playing a piano concerto while Dreamworks farts Mary Had a Little Lamb?  That kind of thing.  It always seemed like the studio went for more of the juvenile demographic as opposed to Pixar appealing to all ages.  And I liked Shrek.  I liked the second one better, but that's just me.  

The story is about a kid named Hiccup growing up in a village that has a dragon problem.  Instead of being burly and blood-thirsty, Hiccup is a blacksmith's apprentice and junior engineer.  Or, in Viking, a fuck-up.  His dad, the chief, is constantly disappointed by his son's clumsy attempts to join in the dragon defense.  Then one of Hiccup's amateur siege engines brings down a Night Fury, a specimen previously thought to leave no survivors.  He finds himself unable to kill the captured beast and sets it free.  An unlikely friendship is born.  

Granted, I just watched it about forty minutes ago, but it seems like one of those movies where you could watch it over and over and still find it funny.   We'll have to see.  I borrowed it from my uncle but it is definitely going on the short list of movies to buy.  ...Okay, it may be a slightly longer than short list.  The point is, this one is on it.  And you should watch it.

1 comment:

  1. I watched it again, with monkey sleeping next to me...and i was like "hello my little toothless...will you breathe fire for me?...no? YOU SUCK!"....needless to say, monkey did not find it amusing....LOL

    ReplyDelete