Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

I really think this is my favorite out of the entire series.  I enjoyed watching it again just as much as I did the first time, maybe more since this time I could just relax and feel the movie instead of constantly comparing it to the book in my head.  I still think the ending was too abrupt but it was really the only place to end and still have enough left to power through the next film.  Originally posted 30 Nov 13.    This is one of those rare sequels that isn't completely overshadowed by its predecessor.  It also stayed much closer to the book than I was expecting.  I found myself checking boxes in my head at every major event.

It has been a year since Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) scammed their way into winning the Hunger Games but life has not gotten much easier.  Katniss is definitely starting to feel the strain of maintaining her public persona for the cameras, i.e. her "love" for Peeta, with her possible feelings for Gale (Liam Hemsworth).  President Snow (Donald Sutherland) is also seriously pissed at her for accidentally fomenting rebellion in the districts.  He warns her that consequences will be severe should she deviate from the prepared script along her Victory Tour.  For a little extra insurance, Snow announces that the 3rd Quarter Quell will be a special All Stars edition of the Games, with only surviving victors eligible.  As the only surviving female Victor for District 12, Katniss is definitely going back in the arena and, of course, Peeta is going to trail after her like a puppy.  This time around, Haymitch (Woody Harrelson), tells them to court the other Victors for alliance, avoid the Careers, and try to not get killed by the landscape itself.

Although it ends with a bit of an abrupt stop, I enjoyed watching this.  What I'm really going to enjoy is the dismayed crying in the theater during the third film, Mockingjay.  A particularly beloved character bites the big one and I just want to be there when all those tweens see it happen on the screen in front of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment