Saturday, March 19, 2016

Wing Chun (1994)

  I know this is super late in the day to be posting.  What can I tell you?  I went to a winery with my friend, Megan, and it turned into five wineries and a Mexican restaurant.  These things happen.  Not often, but they do happen.  It was either that or (continue) binge watch(ing) season 2 of Daredevil on Netflix.

First things first.  I really enjoyed this movie.  It was fun, well choreographed, and showcased a more comedic side to Donnie Yen.

Female kung fu master Wing Chun (Michelle Yeoh) has a lot to deal with.  There's a whole gang of bandits trying to kidnap her pretty employee (Catherine Hung). she can't get any respect from the other kung fu masters, and the guy she was betrothed to (Donnie Yen) thinks she's a dude.  Life is hard.  The only thing left to do is kick as much ass as possible.

Yuen Woo-Ping is an absolute legend as far as fight choreography goes.  He's not as well known as a director, but that shouldn't scare you off.  If you like martial arts movies, this is definitely worth finding.  It's a little more light and fluffy than I'm used to but I'll watch Michelle Yeoh in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment