Saturday, March 26, 2016

Patriot Games (1992)

  From Hunger Games to Patriot Games, what fun times we are having!  This marks my official completion of all Jack Ryan movies.  I'm not sure who keeps track of that sort of thing, but they can check me off the list for Ryans, Bonds, Bournes, and Hunts.  Boom.

Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford) is on a speaking tour in London with his wife (Anne Archer) and daughter (Thora Birch).  While minding his own business, he happens to see the IRA attempt to assassinate a British peer.  Ryan leaps into the fray, fatally wounding one of the gunmen and capturing the other.  The survivor, Sean Miller (Sean Bean), vows vengeance against Ryan for killing his brother.

As an added benefit, I have actually read this book as well.  I'm not a huge Tom Clancy fan (I got totally bogged down in Debt of Honor and never pulled through) but I really enjoyed Patriot Games.  The film adaptation is pretty close; the only major difference is that in the book it's the Prince of Wales and in the movie it's the Queen's cousin.  Makes sense, I guess, since the Prince and Princess of Wales were such huge celebrities in the 90's.

This is a decent Harrison Ford action film, even if you're not into the whole Jack Ryan/Tom Clancy thing.  It's also nice to see a really young Sean Bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment