Monday, March 7, 2016

House of Wax (1953)

  This is the classic horror film, not that Paris Hilton bullshit.

Henry Jarrod (Vincent Price) is a sculptor and his passion is creating wax figures that rival real life.  He and his partner, Matthew (Roy Roberts), have a small wax museum but the money isn't really coming in.  Henry tries to court another investor but Matthew thinks it would be simpler to just set the whole place on fire and collect the insurance money.  Henry, believed lost in the blaze, reappears after a decade to rebuild his dream only this time with a whole lot more murder.

I could have sworn that I had already reviewed this one on here but I couldn't find it.  I can't believe it slipped through the cracks but it has been a few years since I went through the letter H.  I love pretty much every Vincent Price movie I've ever seen but this one is especially near and dear to my heart because it's the first one I ever bought.

It was originally intended to be shown in 3D but it's just as good without it.  The effects are all practical so they don't seem as dated as later movies.  I never really got the horror vibe but I see where other people might.  Plus, this has a very young Charles Bronson as the mute assistant so there's an extra bit of Hollywood glamor for you.

2 comments:

  1. Love me some Vincent Price. This movie scared the crap out of me as a kid.

    Love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete