Saturday, March 5, 2016

Barney's Version (2010)

  I added this to my queue way back in 2010, I think.  It was nominated for a Golden Globe.  I remember that but I don't remember which one and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.  I thought it would be funny and it was, then it sucker-punched me with sadness and I was not prepared.

Barney (Paul Giamatti) is a moderately-successful producer of a Canadian soap opera and a less-than-successful husband.  The reason for that is partly because he meets the love of his life (Rosamund Pike) at his wedding reception to a totally different woman (Minnie Driver).  The other reason has to do with his inability to manage his life, his bohemian friends, and his lovable but uncouth father (Dustin Hoffman).

This movie is adorable right up until it kicks you square in the feels.  Barney isn't exactly the greatest guy but you sympathize with him, even when he's accused of murder.  Seriously, there's a little bit of everything in this.  You should give it a shot, just be aware that you might need some tissues near the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment