Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Other Guys (2010)

  I have to be quick about this because my friend is on her way to pick me up for a wine tasting.

This was not a good movie.  I don't like Will Farrell as a leading man and the humor in this left me completely cold.

Every police precinct has a pecking order and Officers Gamble (Will Ferrell) and Hoitz (Mark Wahlberg) are at the bottom.  Gamble is a former forensic accountant more than happy to sit at his desk and do paperwork.  Hoitz is still stinging from a mistaken identity where he accidentally shot Yankees player Derek Jeter.  But when Gamble stumbles upon a case involving a shady businessman (Steve Coogan) and the National Lottery, the pair manage to pull themselves together.

This is supposed to be somewhat of a buddy cop parody but it's not good.  It's not bad enough to make me get up and turn it off, but I would never watch it again.  Also, I'm fairly certain it was intended to be some sort of protest against the Wall Street bailouts but it missed the mark entirely.  The only real mention is over the end credits, where stats about golden parachutes and wage disparity roll over the cast and crew.  Seeing as most of your audience has turned the movie off at that point or left the theater, I'm not sure what that was supposed to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment