Saturday, June 4, 2016

Operation Condor (1991)

  A while back, I bought a six-disc collection of Jackie Chan movies.  These are the early ones that launched him into superstardom.  According to the back of the case, this is the first movie.  According to IMDb and Google, this is actually a sequel.  I don't think it matters much but I'm putting this disclaimer so nobody from the Internet yells at me.

Agent Condor (Jackie Chan) is an operative in the vein of Indiana Jones meets James Bond.  He is contacted by the U.S. embassy in Spain to help their expert (Carol Cheng) locate a buried fortune in Nazi gold.  Jackie believes the first step is to find out more about the men who buried it, so he tracks down the granddaughter (Eva Cobo) of the leader, who possesses knowledge and an artifact that might help him.

This is a super cute, fun adventure movie despite the fact that it is dubbed with no option for subtitles.  I have a particular hatred for dubbed movies.  This is good enough to make me overlook that flaw.  It feels like a B-movie mashup of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and one of the sillier Roger Moore Bond films.

Jackie Chan has never been my favorite martial artist/actor.  I was always Team Jet Li.  But it really is something to see him when he was so young and willing to break every bone in his body to do something that looks cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment